Welcome to the 2012 Football Season! LHPW would like to introduce Tommy Abbott as your 2012 Football Coordinator. Tommy is the head coach on the Mitey Mite squad and will be available at practices and games if you would like to contact him. Please bookmark this page to stay informed about news and current events related to Lake Howell Hawks football!
The mission of Pop Warner Little Scholars, Inc. is to enable children to benefit from participation in team sports and activities in a safe and structured environment. Through this active participation, Pop Warner programs teach fundamental values, skills and knowledge that children will use throughout their lives.
Participants will be placed on squads based on age and weight and when appropriate…experience. If you have any questions / concerns regarding squad designation, please contact the Football Coordinator.
- Tiny Mites Ages 5, 6 and 7
- 35-75 Pounds
- No Older/Lighter
- Mitey Mites Ages 7, 8 and 9
- 45-90 Pounds
- No Older/Lighter
- Jr. Pee Wee Ages 8, 9, 10, and 11*
- 60-105 Pounds (8,9,10)
- *Older/Lighter 60-85 Pounds (11)
- Pee Wee 9, 10, 11, and 12*
- 75-120 Pounds (9, 10, 11)
- *Older/Lighter 75-100 Pounds (12)
- Jr. Midget 10, 11, 12, and 13*
- 90-145 Pounds (10, 11, 12,)
- *Older/Lighter 90-120 Pounds (13)
- Midget 11, 12,13, 14, and 15*
- 105-170 Pounds (11, 12,13, 14)
- *Older/Lighter 105-140 Pounds (15)
- 8/1 Practice Begins
- 8/20 Zero Weight – Players 1st opportunity to achieve either minimum or maximum weight
- 8/27 Final Weight – Players last opportunity to achieve minimum or maximum weight
- 10/16 Playoffs begin
- Practice begins on Thursday, August 1st. Practice times are as follows:
- August 1st through 2nd Thursday and Friday from 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Saturday August 3rd, 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- August 5th through August 8th, Monday through Thursday 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- After August 13th, practice will be Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. (6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. for TM & MM only)
- Participants will get very hot at practice and need to stay well hydrated
Please send the following to practice:
- Large Thermos/Bottle of Water or Gatorade (drinks get warm fast, so please consider a thermos or cooler)
- Wet Towel (Frogg Toggs) – If in a cooler under ice this will provide an excellent source of cool down for players.
- Sunscreen: Please apply before they come to practice
- Bug Spray: We do practice at dusk, so there will be bugs
THE FOOTBALL SEASON
- The Football season runs from August 1st through mid October.
- Dependent on voluntary Bowl Game invitation, the Tiny Mites and Mitey Mites will be finished in mid to late October.
RULES AND EXPECTATIONS
Some other things to remember:
- No jewelry of any kind is permitted
- LHPW does not recommend face shields as the increase the internal temperature of the helmet 5-1o degrees
- National Pop Warner Rules require 20 hours of conditioning before players can participate in any sort of inter-squad scrimmage.
- No outside practices are allowed. If you have any concerns about this, please contact the Football Coordinator
- We need team parents for each squad. (Please let the Football Coordinator or your Head Coach know if you are interested in helping out.)
- Possible Team Mom/Dad Responsibilities: Help the coach provide communications to the squad parents (i.e. Practices, fund raisers).
- Prepare the fruit at the games and coordinate snacks for the end of the game. Fruit will be provided for the 3rd quarter.The Team Parent will put the fruit and provided drinks into cups for the squad.